10 Bands You Should Be Listening To
Posted: May 8, 2010 Filed under: Miles and Jamie List, Read My List
- Semi Precious Weapons: Old school rock and guitar solos are back, and backing Lady Gaga. When the front man wears high heels and claims it takes longer to put on his face than dress himself, you know they’re bound for super stardom.
- Alphabeat: First there was Abba, then Ace of Base, then Aqua. Alphabeat perfects the Scandinavian pop legacy by reminding us what was fun about the 80’s (first album) and now the 90’s (second album).
- Electric Six: When the men are mustached and the penises are glowing, you know it’s good music. When they’re rhyming Taco Bell with gates of hell, you know it’s genius.
- Troll Town: Our friend’s music project. It’s like going on a magical adventure with only your synthesizer and drum machine to protect you against evil dragons.
- Natalie Portman’s Shaved Head: They’re the cool party band you and your friends wish you had the motivation to start and the pixie sticks to maintain.
- Sammy: Purchased on cover value alone, Sammy is a combination of 90’s esoterica and a smart impulse buy in a mammoth Minnesotan music store.
- The Pipettes: Their first album was 38.9 minutes of 60’s era girl group gold, and now they’ve returned minus two members, plus one sister. The result? More Phil Spector inspired, post-Women’s Lib pop brilliance.
- The Ike Riley Assassination: A more lighthearted Bob Dylan for generation Y, because even in the age of the internet we still love drunken storytelling.
- Brown Eyed Girls: Most Korean acts only have one good song in them, but BEG buck the trend with their smart voices, and the best rapper their nation has to offer.
- The Drums: They’re a bit like if a 60’s band time traveled from their beach party to an 80’s prom. Or, you know, the other way around.