The 10 Coolest Countries in the WorldPosted: May 11, 2010
10. Tunisia: In addition to providing you with an amazing name for your next baby, Tunisia makes the best pastries in the world. This is the land that gave Rome a run for its money, made Star Wars possible, and whose first lady’s nephews stole two mega-yachts from a French Marina.
9. Mongolia: Mongolians do things their own way They milk yaks, live in Yurts, and the men wrestle shirtless in undies and cropped jackets. After the end of Communism, a lot of the population couldn’t remember what their last names were before Communism, so they just used Genghis Khan’s last name. I mean, who’s cooler than Genghis Khan?
8. Cuba: Traveling to Cuba doesn’t involve getting in a time machine, but it might as well because the entire country looks like 1961. Who needs trade with the U.S. when you have dance moves like the despelote (all-over-the-place), tembleque (shake-shudder) and the subasta de la cintura (waist auction)?
7. Maldives: Their capital, Malé packs 103,000 people into 3.5 square miles, they have an island just for garbage, and their only export is recycling (their import is everything). In a few decades, their entire country will have to relocate to another country. THE MALDIVES ARE RIDICULOUS.
6. Sweden: With an attractiveness quota nearly as high as Brazil, but none of the crime, Sweden has its shit figured out. Why shouldn’t furniture and clothing be affordable and stylish? Why shouldn’t a royal family be extremely hot, and pop music be of a superb quality? In Sweden, these are trick questions.
5. Vietnam: Easily the most badass country in Asia, if not the world. The Vietnamese defeated France and the U.S. just so they could adopt Communism, then ditch it when it got boring. Their favorite hobbies now include texting while riding motorcycles, and making noodles and vegetables a part of every meal. Amazing.
4. Brazil: Boasting the coolest flag in the world, as well as the hottest people, Brazil is the melting pot that the U.S. wishes it could be. Their unique combination of cultures gave us footvolley (soccer + volleyball), capoeira (martial arts + dancing) and the Tapinha (Macarena + booty slapping)
3. Ethiopia: Ethiopia defied European colonialism, explaining that they already had their own alphabet, system of time and brand of wolf, and they didn’t need white people fucking it up. This is the country that invented coffee, and when Anthony Bourdain visited them, put salt in it just for giggles.
2.France: Unlike what many Americans believe, the French aren’t rude. They are actually very hospitable and live in a country that is impossibly amazing. Comic books literally fall from the sky as you lose weight eating some of the best pastries you’ve ever tasted.
1. South Korea: Give S. Korea a little wiggle room, and they will invent the most logical alphabet on the planet and discover a way to choreograph a 13-member boy band. They animate nearly all of the U.S’ cartoon shows, their BBQ is always fresh, and all of their pop groups include at least one rapper. Japan who?